Monday, September 28, 2009

Let's get this thing started

Ok, so Becky and I have started a new fitness program. Several weeks ago we ordered Beach Body's "Slim in 6" program. That's right we got sucked in by the infomercial promising rock hard 6 pack abs in 6 weeks. We have both kind of been on a fitness kick lately (ok, I have been off the fitness kick for a while. When my truck broke down, I stopped going to the gym and only recently started riding my bike to work. Becky does a combination of jogging and walking on the treadmill for 99 minutes a day.) I have to say I am pretty proud of how far we have both come. I have lost about 25 pounds since May and Becky is down about 16 pounds since June. Lately, though, we have both kind of been in a holding pattern with our weight loss and decided we needed to do something drastic to kick start it again. Going to the gym is out because with work and school and the kids, we never make it and riding my bike and the bus is not conducive to going to the gym early in the morning.

So, we decided to try the Slim in 6 program. For anyone who is unfamiliar with the program it is a high energy aerobic workout made by the same company that makes P90X. I see it as kinda the precursor to P90X or in other words the lower impact workout designed for fatties like me. It promises dramatic results in 6 weeks. Since ordering it, we have left it in the box to collect dust. This weekend I decided that I was not going to just let it (and me) collect dust anymore and we started the program. So yesterday morning Becky and I got out in the family room and started the first workout. It wasn't too bad. The workout itself is about a half hour long and it is fairly intense, but again it is intended to help those who are weight loss challenged so the first workout is naturally lower impact.

So yesterday morning before the workout, I weighed in at 260.5. Not ideal but a lot better than the 285 I was at 4 months ago. We did the first workout yesterday, and I was a little sore throughout the day, but not bad. This morning, we did our workout and it completely kicked my butt. I didn't realize how sore my muscles were from yesterday until I tried to use them again. Holy Crap, I am out of shape. I made it through the workout though and decided to weigh myself this morning and to my surprise I had dropped 3.5 lbs. Weighed in at 257 even. I have to say that I was skeptical about the weight loss promise of Slim in 6, but if this keeps up, I will be feeling pretty good in 6 weeks.

So that's where we are. 2 days into the program and I am very encouraged. I am fairly new to the blogging thing so we'll see how this goes, but hopefully I will keep it up. I will at least update my weight and stats on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment